Anne Russey, MEd, Licensed Professional Counselor-Supervisor
I’m so glad you’re here. I launched Anne Russey Counseling in Katy, Texas in September of 2018. I set out to build a practice where my clients would feel welcome, safe, supported and affirmed 100% of the time. Because success in therapy is heavily dependent on the quality and strength of the relationship between a client and their counselor, it’s important that you find someone who is uniquely qualified to address the particular concerns that are leading you to look for counseling in the first place.
When it comes to counselors, the right fit exists for everyone- but every therapist will not be the right fit for every client.
After nearly a decade of experience in the professional counseling field, I can say with some confidence, the clients who feel I’m the right fit for them fall under one (or more) of these categories:
- Stressed out, overwhelmed or anxious mothers
- LGBTQ+ adults who want to address any number of concerns ranging from anxiety, depression, coming out, exploration of sexual orientation, exploration of gender identity, gender transition, gender non-conformity, gender fluidity, living life with HIV or other chronic health concerns, concerns about alcohol, marijuana or other substance use among other topics likely not listed here
- Men, women or gender non-conforming folk who want to address work related stress, anxiety or burnout
- Individuals (women, men, gender non-conforming parents) who want to address the baby blues, postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety or other types of postpartum distress
- Individuals struggling with grief, miscarriage, infertility or other types of loss
- Parents of LGBTQ+ children, teens or adult children desiring to work towards a place of unconditional acceptance, affirmation and love for their child, but maybe need some information, support and a safe place to process their own thoughts, feelings and sometimes grief related to their child’s coming out
- Otherwise high achieving, kind and successful young adult women who suspect tension and conflict with their mothers or other family members during their childhood and adolescence may be negatively impacting their current relationships and overall satisfaction with their life as an independent adult
Think I may be the right fit for you?
If you believe I may be the right fit for you based on other information you’ve read or perhaps a word of mouth referral from a friend, but don’t feel like you see yourself in the list above, please contact me for a free individual phone consultation where we can further discuss your specific needs and how I might be able to help. This list is not all encompassing, but hopefully gives you a better idea about me, my practice and who I love to serve (and consequently who I believe will benefit most from working with me).
In spite of all of their beautiful, extraordinary differences, my clients tend to be similar in some really incredible ways too.
My clients are smart, kind and funny. At their best, they’re resilient, resourceful and problem solvers.
When they come to me they’re often feeling stuck, anxious, depressed, frustrated or at their wit’s end. I help them find their way through whatever is getting in their way by teaching them practical coping skills, how to regain control over areas of their life where it’s possible and strategies to work towards accepting whatever circumstances are beyond their control so that they can keep moving in the direction they want to go.
My clients have a really hard time reaching out for help for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the things I hear from clients when they finally reach out for help and my responses to them.
- Client: “I am embarrassed that I can’t figure this out on my own. I’m usually the one taking care of everybody else.”
- Me: “Everybody needs help sometimes. It’s important to take care of yourself, not only so you can feel content and satisfied with your life, but so that you can continue caring for others.”
- Client: “I know other people have worse problems, and it feels selfish to take up space when someone else has it worse.”
- Me: “Pain and suffering are unique to every person. Every person is uniquely worthy of feeling supported, cared for, seen and heard. Counseling is not a finite resource. You deciding not to take care of yourself, doesn’t ease someone else’s pain. It doesn’t make help any more available to them than it already is. However, it does keep you feeling stuck/depressed/anxious/alone.”
Still unsure about counseling?
You may have other concerns or reasons you’re hesitant to reach out for help. Reaching out for help is hard. Vulnerability is scary. But sometimes, so is doing nothing. When you’r ready, I’d love the opportunity to hear more about what you’re going through. We can talk a little more about how I might be able to help.
Send me a message and I promise to get back to you. If you don’t hear back within 24 hours, there was likely a glitch with my form. Please follow up with a call or a text. I look forward to connecting with you soon.
To learn a little more about me and what it might be like to work with me, check out my blog where I share free content that I hope is helpful regardless of whether or not you decide to work with me. Remember a blog is not a substitute for counseling. If you need professional support, please seek it.
Learn more about the specialty therapy services offered from my Katy, Texas based online counseling practice.
General perinatal counseling and counseling for moms
As featured on:
Voyage Houston Inspiring Story: Meet Anne Russey
Katy Moms Network Meet a Mom: Meet Anne Russey
Human Window: How to Stop Thinking About Something
Licensed Counselor in the State of Texas
- Licensed Professional Counselor- Supervisor
- Texas license # 67124
- MEd Professional Counseling
- University of Houston (2010)
- BA Psychology
- Texas A&M University (2008)
Relevant Counseling Experience, Training and Certifications
- Private practice clinical experience providing therapy to individuals in an outpatient setting.
- Completion of 20 hour Postpartum Support International Training (July 2018) with advanced mental health training for postpartum depression treatment, postpartum anxiety treatment and other postpartum related distress
- 7 years experience professionally serving the LGBTQ+ community of Houston in a non-profit setting, focused on general mental health, substance use, HIV, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Graduate Internship at a women’s center where she served survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.