Online LGBT Counseling in Texas, based in Katy, TX
You may be looking for LGBT counseling to help you explore and understand your sexuality or gender identity. Or you may be struggling to describe the way you think and feel about these parts of your identity. Alternatively, you may be totally self accepting, and just want to make sure whomever you see isn’t going to make your gender identity or sexuality the focus of your counseling sessions. Perhaps most importantly, you want to be certain your therapist won’t blame your problems on being gay or trans.
At Anne Russey Counseling, I get that. I have clients who come to me to work through coming out concerns or to explore questions related to their gender identity. However, plenty of my clients come in feeling like they’ve already accepted those parts of themselves and need help dealing with the stuff that’s motivating them to seek help now.
One of the greatest predictors of feeling helped by counseling is how strongly you believe your counselor can actually help you. Finding a therapist who you feel like understands you and the concerns you want to address will help you get what you want and need out of counseling.
Regardless of your sexual orientation or gender identity, counseling may be helpful in addressing a wide range of concerns including:
- Anxiety and panic attacks (also known as “anxiety attacks”)
- Depression, feelings of hopelessness, unbearable sadness and suicidal ideation
- Burn Out (or other forms of work stress)
- Substance misuse or overuse- even if complete sobriety is not the goal
- Living with HIV
- Dating and relationship stress
LGBT focused counseling can help individuals with:
- Coming Out (to yourself or to others)
- Gender identity exploration and transition
- Gender dysphoria (defined as the distress caused by your sex assigned at birth not matching with your gender identity)
- Feelings of guilt, shame and stigma related to sexual orientation or gender identity
- Internalized homophobia (and self hatred)
- Family tension, conflict and rejection as the result of coming out
In our work together your gender identity and sexual orientation will never be “problems” to be “fixed” but rather unique characteristics that may influence the way in which we identify and explore the things that bring you to counseling. Together we’ll look at the stuff causing you to feel anxious, stuck or alone, then we will figure out how to forge a path forward. Counseling can help you heal from the past, overcome current obstacles and create the life you want to live. When you’re ready, contact me to discuss what’s going on and how I may be able to help.
A note for parents of kids who are coming out as gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender.
If your child or teen has recently come out as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender and you’re feeling scared and uncertain where to turn, I’m glad you’re here. Please know that I see you. I see the care and concern you’re showing for your child by seeking out affirming help and support. The heartache you may be feeling as you grieve the loss of the child you thought you knew is not unnoticed.
The unconditional love and acceptance you feel for your child and the fears and worry you also have for them coming out in a world that does not always validate the worth and existence of people like them matters. I need you to know that there is hope for your child and your family and that by continuing to stand by your child, love them and accept them unconditionally and whole heartedly you may be literally saving their life and setting them up to flourish and grow into who they were born to be.
You are not alone in your journey as a parent of an LGBT child.
You are not alone in walking this road. The single most important thing you can do for your child is continue to love them, accept them and believe them when they tell you who they are. It is possible, and important, to do this while coming to terms with what your child’s coming out means for you and your family. It can be really helpful to find your own competent and affirming support to help you process what you’re feeling and what your child may be experiencing.
There are some fantastic resources for parents and families of LGBTQ+ individuals both in and near Katy, TX and online that I am happy to share with you. In person and online support groups and resources can be validating and helpful. In addition to those resources, I also work individually with parents. I help them navigate the experience of supporting and loving their children, and other loved ones through the coming out process.
Counseling for parents of LGBT kids, teens and adult children may be helpful in addressing:
- Questions related to your child’s coming out that you don’t feel safe asking anyone else around you.
- Educating yourself about the various aspects and struggles of the coming out process.
- Learning how to best support your loved one in their coming out experience.
- Learning to cope with your own confusion, distress, grief, anxiety and fears over your child’s coming out as LGBTQ+.
- Navigating your own coming out experience in a way that honors your child’s privacy and process.
- Resource identification and connection for your child and your family for any needs outside of counseling. For example peer support, affirming counseling for your child, transgender competent medical care- primary care and gender care, etc.
Start LGBT Counseling online anywhere in Texas
Finding a counselor who is both affirming and knowledgeable about LGBTQ+ life and culture is really important. You should feel safe and comfortable with your therapist. Ideally, you should be able to be yourself, without any fear of judgement. You should not need to spell out every acronym and aspect of queer life that comes up in your sessions. If you’re ready to get started with an affirming therapist, follow these simple steps:
- E-mail, call or text (281-607-4443) to book your first appointment or to schedule a phone consultation.
- Attend your first virtual counseling appointment.
- Start feeling more self aware and more in control of the things causing you to feel stuck, overwhelmed or alone.
Options for LGBTQ Counseling
Online Counseling (Virtual Counseling)
No time to commute to an appointment, but think you can squeeze a session in during your lunch hour? Or do you live in a rural part of Texas without much access to any counselors, let alone LGBT therapists? Online counseling could be a great fit. Video counseling allows you to have counseling from anywhere you have access to a private meeting space and the internet.
Teletherapy based in Katy, Texas near Houston.
Anne Russey, Licensed Professional Counselor, offers online individual therapy to people living anywhere in the state of Texas. Our practice is based near West Houston, Katy-Fulshear and Cinco Ranch.
Other Therapy Services Offered from Katy, Texas
Sometimes, you might have other struggles. I’m able to help you with a wide range of concerns. In addition to LGBT counseling, I offer anxiety treatment, postpartum anxiety treatment, postpartum depression treatment, general perinatal counseling and counseling for moms.